Oxfam in the West End

Tuesday, January 24, 2006



meet……..

MONICA


I have volunteered in the Drury Lane Oxfam shop since the summer of 1992.

I used to work as a manager of a day care centre in Barnet – and shortly after retiring – I missed the routine and camaraderie of working. As I was doing some courses at the City Lit across the road – I popped into the Oxfam shop and saw a poster asking for volunteers.

Biddy was on the till – and she was very enthusiastic and seemed to enjoy what she was doing – so I took an application form – and have never looked back.

The best book I’ve ever read is The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

I was born in Newport, Monmouthshire in South Wales – but ideally would love to live in the South of France again – it has a wonderful climate.

The best journey I’ve had so far was when I was much younger – and a group of three of us girls hitch hiked from France down through Europe to the Italian
Island of Ischia – just off the Bay of Naples.

I can’t remember what I wanted to be when I grew up – but I am part of a medical family – so when there was a great need for nurses in the Second World War – I immediately signed up. All you needed back then was O & A levels & Matric.

My favourite meal would be a hearty French Dinner – and I would invite Florence Nightingale – to talk nursing – Winston Churchill – because he was a great orator – and Gordon Brown – to get a good talking to by Winston.

I love volunteering for Oxfam as it gives me a very interesting occupation – and I enjoy meeting lots of diverse people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home